Date: 10/26/17 12:37 pm
From: Tim Carney <timmyc83...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Poplar Island 10/25/2017
I surveyed Poplar Island yesterday. It was quieter than my previous census, but there were still several nice birds. By far the most exciting was an unexpected BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER in Cell 6. Per Bob Ringler, this is the new late date for Maryland.

Among the nearly 3100 gulls at the newly-constructed Cell 7 dike was one adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL.

I also found a nice mix of shorebirds in Cell 6, including two lingering White-rumped Sandpipers.

I made several dedicated efforts to find Ammodramus sparrows but did not locate any.

Full eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40119579

Tim Carney
Parkville, MD