Date: 10/26/17 10:51 am
From: Terry Bronson <tbronsonbirds...>
Subject: Pied-billed Grebe fallout at Cheat Lake, very late Tree Swallows, first push of migrating ducks
Water bird season has finally begun at Cheat Lake with the rain and cold
weather of the last couple of days finally nudging ducks and other water
birds southward.

There was a good-sized fallout of PIED-BILLED GREBES this morning totaling
113 birds. The vast majority were sleeping it off. 58 birds were at Cheat
Lake Park, 1 at Sunset Harbor Marina, 16 north of the I-68 bridge, and 38
south of that bridge. The eBird record for WV is 500 birds in 1975 in
Charleston.

Also of note were 2 very late TREE SWALLOWS south of the I-68 bridge. There
are about 15 locations with November and December eBird records.

At Cheat Lake Park and about 1-1.5 miles up the south trail, where most of
the birds were:

Canada Goose--7
Wood Duck--24
Gadwall--3
American Wigeon--15
Mallard--1
Blue-winged Teal--1
Ring-necked Duck--17
Lesser Scaup--5
Ruddy Duck--8
Common Loon--2, the wailing call of which could be heard up and down the
lake
Pied-billed Grebe--58, in 8-10 small flocks, the largest of which was 16
birds
Horned Grebe--2
American Coot--53, single flock
Ruby-crowned Kinglet--1
Golden-crowned Kinglet--1
Yellow-rumped Warbler--at least 20 flitting southward through the treetops
along the trail
White-throated Sparrow--1
14 other common land birds

Sunset Harbor Marina: