Date: 10/26/17 9:40 am
From: Tim Carney <timmyc83...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Swan Creek 10/20/2017
I conducted a full census at Swan Creek on Friday 10/20.

The best bird was a CLAY-COLORED SPARROW in a restricted area.

The next two best birds were not identified to species. The first was a flyover Snow Bunting or Lapland Longspur. I heard a dry twittering rattle over the north cell while I was scoping ducks. At first I thought SNBU, but Matt Hafner suggested that LALO would be more likely. After listening to recordings, I believe the bird was in fact a LALO but am not counting it without more proof. I also heard a large rail grunt in the wetlands, but without a visual, I am uncomfortable pinning it down to Clapper or King.

Other highlights: high counts of Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Ruddy Duck, and Ruby-crowned Kinglet; a late Spotted Sandpiper; and a late Yellow-breasted Chat.

eBird checklist with photos: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40031339

Tim Carney
Parkville, MD

*** NOTE: Swan Creek/Cox Creek is an active industrial site and mitigation project in northern Anne Arundel Co. Access is at the end of Kembo Road off Fort Smallwood Road near 695. The site is open ONLY Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Please be in your car and leaving at 3:30 p.m.. Remember to always sign in at the office, to be on your best behavior (people have worked hard to coordinate this access), and to stick to permitted areas. This Swan Creek map linked here details where you are and aren't allowed to walk. http://www.billhubick.com/docs/swan_creek_map.jpg. ***