Date: 10/25/17 11:20 pm
From: Paul Roisen <roisenp1950...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: Re: [NEBirds] Re: eBird Hotspots
Here is the eBird explanation of a Hotspot.

* Hotspots are public birding locations created by eBird users. Using
Hotspots, multiple birders can enter data into the same shared location,
creating aggregated results available through "View and Explore Data". A
"Hotspot" does not necessarily have to be an outstanding location for birds
or birding – the goal is to have a set of public locations that people
regularly visit for birding, somewhat regardless of how amazing they are
for birds. If you have a small urban park that you check regularly, but you
only ever see a few species there – we still want to know, and would like
to have it as a hotspot! The key is that it is a public location that many
birders can use, so places like your yard don't really qualify. *

Following up on Willam's explanation I now see why the term hotspot is a
misleading term, but regardless the explanation clarifies my understanding.

The "public" aspect seems to be important as well. If it is private and
has restricted access, maybe those areas should NOT be designated as
"hotspots" unless the owner allow people to bird the area. I to not think
there is any way to put contact info for a "private" location.

*Paul O. Roisen*
*Woodbury County, IA*
*Mobile 712-301-2817*

On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 11:11 PM, <sparvophile...> [NEBirds] <
<NEBirds...> wrote:

> Paul asks how an eBird hotspot gets established. I thought I posted some
> directions for that a month or two ago; but I can't find them, so I may be
> confabulating. I'll write some up now, and beg your indulgence if I've
> done it before.
>
> Be advised that I only know how to do this from a browser. I'm not a
> smart-phone kind of person, so don't know how you'd submit hotspot
> suggestions from eBird's app. I'm afraid that you'll have to figure it out
> yourself, or get help from someone who's more up on 21st-century technology
> than I am. And you kids keep off my lawn...
>
> You can submit a hotspot suggestion the first time you bird a place. When
> you put your pin in the map, you'll get "Enter Location Name" off to the
> right; just under that is a checkbox "Suggest as a Birding HotSpot". Click
> that checkbox, and proceed as usual with your data entry. Once you've
> submitted the list, the suggestion will land in my inbox. I don't check it
> terribly often, so if you'd like, drop me an e-mail and I'll expedite
> things.
>
> If you've submitted lists for a location, and later decide that you want
> to suggest it as a hotspot, click the "My eBird" tab from the main page.
> On the right side, under the big orange "Donate Now" button, the fourth
> item down is "Manage My Locations". Click that, and you'll get a list of
> your locations. If you know the name, you can type it in the search box;
> or you can run down the list until you find it, then click "Edit" to the
> right. Either way, you should get a map with the location; at the top
> you'll see the name in large type, with the lat-long coordinates followed
> by "Suggest as Hotspot". Click on that, then confirm that that's really
> what you want to do. Again, that'll send the suggestion to my inbox.
>
> Before you send off your suggestion, double-check the location. We've had
> problems in the past with hotspots far from where they should be—for
> instance, the notorious "Pioneers Park--not" location. I've had some very
> respectable birders submit suggestions that turned out to be far away from
> the actual location. I try to check them as best I can before making them
> official, but can't catch all the errors. It's possible for me to move a
> misplaced hotspot, but it's better to avoid problems in the first place.
>
> Hope this helps; please feel free to drop me a line if I can clarify
> things—
>
> William Flack
> Kearney

Join us on Facebook!