Date: 10/25/17 9:15 pm
From: Lauren Harter <lbharter...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] WAZ: Alamo Lake goodies
Today, 10/25/17, David Vander Pluym and I spent the day doing field work
above Alamo Lake and finished the afternoon with a quick scan of the upper
portion of the lake.

Our highlight was a calling CASSIN'S FINCH at Palmerita Ranch on the Santa
Maria River above the lake. We also had decent numbers of Gray Flycatchers
in the area (~5). Otherwise, the river was rather quiet.

On the upper end of the lake, we were impressed with the number of birds.
The main highlight was a remarkable count of 54 COMMON LOONS - these were
all toward the deeper end of the lake and it's likely that we missed birds
closer to the dam. Second was a flock of five SURF SCOTERS trying to blend
with Ruddy Ducks at the upper end. Other good birds included an early Snow
Goose, 95 Lesser Scaup (good count for the date), three early HORNED
GREBES, 13 Neotropic Cormorants, and a late Forster's Tern.

Good birding,
Lauren Harter
Lake Havasu City