Date: 10/25/17 9:11 pm
From: <sparvophile...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Re: eBird Hotspots
Paul asks how an eBird hotspot gets established. I thought I posted some directions for that a month or two ago; but I can't find them, so I may be confabulating. I'll write some up now, and beg your indulgence if I've done it before.

Be advised that I only know how to do this from a browser. I'm not a smart-phone kind of person, so don't know how you'd submit hotspot suggestions from eBird's app. I'm afraid that you'll have to figure it out yourself, or get help from someone who's more up on 21st-century technology than I am. And you kids keep off my lawn...

You can submit a hotspot suggestion the first time you bird a place. When you put your pin in the map, you'll get "Enter Location Name" off to the right; just under that is a checkbox "Suggest as a Birding HotSpot". Click that checkbox, and proceed as usual with your data entry. Once you've submitted the list, the suggestion will land in my inbox. I don't check it terribly often, so if you'd like, drop me an e-mail and I'll expedite things.

If you've submitted lists for a location, and later decide that you want to suggest it as a hotspot, click the "My eBird" tab from the main page. On the right side, under the big orange "Donate Now" button, the fourth item down is "Manage My Locations". Click that, and you'll get a list of your locations. If you know the name, you can type it in the search box; or you can run down the list until you find it, then click "Edit" to the right. Either way, you should get a map with the location; at the top you'll see the name in large type, with the lat-long coordinates followed by "Suggest as Hotspot". Click on that, then confirm that that's really what you want to do. Again, that'll send the suggestion to my inbox.

Before you send off your suggestion, double-check the location. We've had problems in the past with hotspots far from where they should be—for instance, the notorious "Pioneers Park--not" location. I've had some very respectable birders submit suggestions that turned out to be far away from the actual location. I try to check them as best I can before making them official, but can't catch all the errors. It's possible for me to move a misplaced hotspot, but it's better to avoid problems in the first place.

Hope this helps; please feel free to drop me a line if I can clarify things—

William Flack
Kearney

Join us on Facebook!