Date: 10/25/17 8:27 pm
From: Jim Mountjoy <jmountjo...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET White-winged Crossbills in Knox County
This morning on my dog walk in the north end of Galesburg I heard
interesting finch calls, and was able to see at least 3 small birds pass
overhead uttering these calls. I was thinking crossbill, but they did not
sound very much like the sharp Red Crossbill calls that I had heard a
couple of days ago. I also heard at least one (from the same group or
different?) a few minutes later. It took a bit of listening to various Red
Crossbill call types on the McCauley Lab website and various assorted calls
of White-wings on Xeno-Canto before I felt confident that I had heard at
least 3 WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS this morning, giving only the "chet, chet"
call and not the typical mix with more 'whiny' calls.. It has been too
long since I have heard this species!

Kevin Richmond also reports having this species today at Sand Ridge. It
could be an interesting winter coming up...

Jim Mountjoy

D. James Mountjoy

Associate Professor

(on Sabbatical Spring and Fall Terms 2017)

Knox College

Department of Biology

2 East South Street

Galesburg, Illinois 61401-4999