Date: 10/25/17 5:41 pm
From: 'Denise Hamilton' <napabirders...> [northbaybirds] <northbaybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [NBB] Timberhill Park, Napa Oct. 25, 2017
Hi all,

First time David & I walked up to Timberhill Park with visiting friends from Portland, OR since the fires. Happy to report that for this park, damage is light. See pictures of the hillside burnt at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129054246@N07/with/37935735071/

For those who go to the park, the picture was taken by the Big leaf maple that is right in the center of the road. Fence posts burned, but most of the trees just look a bit singed around the edges. You can see how the firebreaks put in helped a lot, plus it looks like there were water drops.

Bird-wise, had a flock of 20+ WESTERN MEADOWLARKS up on the hillside below the burn, a RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW in the shrubs next to the maple tree, along with quite a few WHITE-CROWNED (which we don’t see a lot of at the park) and a few GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWS, & one FOX spar. lower down. A large flock of goldfinches, mainly LESSERS were enjoying thistle seeds. Up in the bay trees, just beyond the green gate, we heard some loud tapping and was happy to see a PILEATED WOODPECKER. Complete list can be found on Ebird:

(Timberhill Park: Browns Valley Rd to Buhman Ave. turn left; to Meadowbrook Dr. turn right; to Stonybrook Dr. turn left; to Timberhill Ln. turn right. Park at end of street by gate up to park. Walk up road. 2 ways to go- beyond green gate, there is a well used trail to the left- walk up hill and follow path/road all around the hill and then come back down. Or, continue up road beyond the green gate and walk up as far as you want- there is a bit of a steep section where the path goes up the hill above the washed out road. I usually start my count at the corner of Stonybrook & Timberhill – feeders at the house on the corner, and great oaks along the street.)

Need to go up Partrick Rd to see how it did. Saw a picture the other day online and it looks like it was all burned around the pond on the left-hand side, right before you get into the dense trees.

Happy birding,

Denise & David Hamilton

Napa

<napabirders...>

Listowners: mailto:<northbaybirds-owner...>

Turn off email delivery: mailto:<northbaybirds-nomail...>
Resume email delivery: mailto:<northbaybirds-normal...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)