Date: 10/25/17 2:23 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan Beach & Park, Lyons Woods & IBSP Hawk Watch Wed 10-25-17
Hello Bird People,

After 2 "rain days" with no birding it was back in action today &
although I did not get all the birds seen by others at the same places
I was at I did well enough.

Waukegan Beach & Park (7:25-8:45 a.m.)

Waves were crashing over the pier so no birds there. The only birds on
the beach were a few Ring Billed Gulls. But in the inlet were P.B.
Grebe (2), Canada Goose (63), Mallard (8), Gadwall (5), Green Wing
Teal (1) & Coots (3). Still 2 Cormorants toward Greenwood & 9 Red
Winged Blackbirds flew by. Sad to say today was my 1st "shorebird
shutout" at Waukegan with my 1st visit being on July 6th followed by
24 more visits without ever missing at least 1 shorebird. I had hoped
to get into November before the shutout but not this year. I once made
it into the 1st weekend of Dec without a shutout when a Ruddy
Turnstone remained into Dec. But in a normal year the 1st shutout
comes in late Oct or early Nov so it was on schedule. Later Eric &
Ethan G had a Snipe & an American Bittern in the backwaters & the
Snipe would saved me one more time but it wasn't to be.

In the small park I saw both Kinglets (1 male Ruby Crowned was
actually flashing it's red crown), 3 Hermit Thrushes, Myrtle Warblers
& 4 species of Sparrows among other birds.

Lyons Woods (9-9:50 a.m.)

Here I was with Eric & Ethan G for part of the time but not long
enough I'm afraid. They returned via the conifers & their reward was
to hear & briefly see the Red Crossbill reported by Ethan. I returned
via the field loop trail & my only reward was to hear about their
Crossbill.

Birds I did get included Eastern Phoebe, both Red & White Breasted
Nuthatches, Eastern Bluebirds,
Hermit Thrushes, an ORANGE CROWNED WARBLER, an Eastern Towhee, more
Sparrows & about 6-8 SISKINS near the parking lot.

Illinois Beach North Unit Hawk Watch (10:15 a.m.-1:30 p.m.)

My visit was not long based on the others who were there but long
enough to see the following:

Turkey Vulture (16), BALD EAGLE (6), good numbers of Sharpe Shinned &
Red Tailed Hawks plus a few Cooper's Hawks & 2 Merlins. Highlight for
me & probably everyone else was a NORTHERN GOSHAWK which flew by with
a Red Tailed Hawk right over us & Paul's photos of the 2 together
proved the I.D. of the Goshawk beyond a doubt. Also flying by were
flocks of Canada Geese & Cormorants & 1 Great Egret flying north not
south? Land birds near the site included 2 Eastern Phoebes, a distant
NORTHERN SHRIKE found 1st by Ethan, over 10 Bluebirds & good looks at
2 LECONTES SPARROWS in the usual place south of the shelter building.
I am sure the hawk watch folks will have many more raptors by day's
end.

Bird-Of-The-Day goes to the Goshawk especially as I missed that
species last year & maybe the year before as well. Runner-Up to the
LeConte's Sparrow which gave us a nice long look which seldom happens
for me.

Al Stokie
In N.E. Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>