Date: 10/25/17 11:06 am
From: Gail Mackiernan <katahdinss...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Wheaton Regional Park and Brookside Gardens today 10/25
Hi all,

Autumn is moving along, and we probably will not be going to WRP for much longer. However today’s visit was fun. Our best bird was a juvenile Red-headed Woodpecker on the snags near the white house- only the second one this autumn for the park, I think. A few stragglers linger, a single Catbird and House Wren. The only warbler was a Common Yellowthroat in Brookside Gardens. Oodles of Kinglets, most were Ruby-crowns feeding the birches at both Shorefield and in the gardens themselves. Still waiting for the first Fox Sparrow, though....

Gail Mackiernan and Barry Cooper
Colesville, MD

43 species (+1 other taxa)
Birds if interest

Black Vulture 2
Turkey Vulture 3
Cooper's Hawk 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 2
Red-headed Woodpecker 1 Immature
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1
Hairy Woodpecker (Eastern) 2 Pair
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) 8
Eastern Phoebe 2
Blue Jay 8
House Wren (Northern) 1
Winter Wren 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 5 All in birches in Gardens
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 30 Conservative estimate
Eastern Bluebird 8
Hermit Thrush 2
American Robin 15
Gray Catbird 1