Date: 10/24/17 5:53 pm
From: Denny Granstrand <dgranstrand...>
Subject: [Tweeters] Red Fox Sparrows in Yakima
Hi Tweeters,

In 2011, Yakima Valley Audubon aided a Boy Scout doing his Eagle Scout
project and helped build a blind at the spot where we have scattered bird
seed for a few years at the Yakima Area Arboretum. It has been very
successful at attracting birds during the winter.We call it the bird blind
or the sparrow patch.

On Oct. 21 (Sat.) I photographed a Red Fox Sparrow at the bird blind.

Within a one hour period Sunday afternoon I photographed at least three Red
Fox Sparrows. I placed photos of three of them in the new photos folder on
my website, along with the Red FOSP from Saturday. I am fairly sure the
four birds in the photos are different individuals. Here is the link to
photos of them::

http://www.granstrand.net/gallery/newphotos

On Dec. 16, 2009 and Jan. 24, 2010 I photographed the first Red Fox Sparrow
I had seen in Washington, also at the arboretum. Here is the link to one of
those photos:

http://www.granstrand.net/gallery/album93/P1050425a

On Oct. 21, 2016 I found another one at the bird blind:

http://www.granstrand.net/gallery/album93/DSCN7756a

At the bird blind over the past few years I have also photographed several
subspecies each of Slate-colored and Sooty Fox Sparrows. Sooty Fox Sparrows
are the most abundant. It seems the spot has become a Fox Sparrow Mecca. A
quick scan through eBird data showed FOSPs arriving at the arboretum at
about the middle of Oct. and most years staying until near the end of Dec.
Several years they have lingered into February. Yakima Audubon also
provides birdseed for a sparrow patch along the Poppoff Trail in Union Gap.
eBird records show Fox Sparrows being seen usually until the end of March
and occasionally into April. I think difference in the two locations is
because Yakima Audubon has led a bird walk every Thursday morning for quite
a few years on the Poppoff Trail, so it is more heavily birded than the
arboretum and has many more eBird reports.

Denny Granstrand
Yakima, WA

Denny Granstrand
Yakima, WA