Date: 10/24/17 4:00 pm
From: John Fussell <jfuss...>
Subject: Re: DOVEKIE at Cape Hatteras this afternoon
Excepting an injured Dovekie on the shore next to a menhaden plant in
Morehead City (had probably been caught in a net), the first live Dovekies I
ever saw were on what seemed like a very unlikely day. Although it was late
November (27 Nov 1966, I think), it was a totally bluebird day--clear and
warm, with light winds. A friend and I were surfing on Bogue Banks (near
the old Iron Steamer Pier), when the friend pointed out that several little
birds were swimming around us. They were Dovekies. I quickly caught one of
them--it was seemingly exhausted. The rest of the afternoon we noticed
numerous small flocks of Dovekies flying by.

When I got home that evening, my parents had an injured Dovekie that they
had picked up on a highway somewhere in the vicinity.

For many days thereafter, there were many dead Dovekies along the drift line
of the island, at least in the Atlantic Beach-Pine Knoll Shores area.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC