Date: 10/24/17 5:09 am
From: Robert Penner <rpenner...>
Subject: Cheyenne Bottoms Preserve
On Sunday morning; Gentry Holaday, a grad student from Fort Hays State University, and I were conducting vegetation monitoring transects. While running the wetland transect we saw approximately 700 Sandhill Cranes along the north edge of the marsh, while on the south end, where we were working there was 12 American Golden-Plovers, about 20 Killdeer and a handful of Yellowlegs. Then while running the two grassland transects we flushed 2 Short-eared Owls, a Wilson's Snipe and about 30 Greater Prairie Chickens and finally in an area that was mowed to produced better shorebird habitat we spotted 15 Buff-breasted Sandpipers. Not a bad morning of birding when we were actually looking at plants.

Robert L. Penner II
The Nature Conservancy
Ellinwood, KS

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html