Date: 10/23/17 5:04 pm
From: Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Magnificent Frigatebird- Cass Co. (No longer present)
  Upon talking to a customer today at work, this particular lady mentioned that she lived on a lake south of Bellevue.  Being the spontaneous person that I am, I uttered something regarding the Brown Booby discovered on Hanson Lake in July 2014.  She exclaimed that she was further south, and replied with "But we did have a F-R-I-G-"  I responded bewildered with "A FRIGATEBIRD?!"  She said "yeah, that's it."
   She then pulled out her phone and presented photos to me of the lake's (Copper Dollar Cove) Facebook page.  Here someone had taken some distant, though identifiable photos of this long-winged pelagic species.  The lady also mentioned that the bird had a red throat, indicating an adult male.   The photos of the MAGNIFICENT FRIGATEBIRD were taken a month prior (September 23).  She said that the FRIGATEBIRD stuck around for a couple weeks, but had since departed.
  This is undoubtedly a bird that was blown in by Hurricane Irma when it struck the Florida Keys/Florida mainland in Mid-September.  Other sightings of this large pelagic seabird included a bird in Wisconsin as well as an individual in northern Illinois.
  The photos have been forwarded to the proper authorities.
Good birding.
Justin RinkMidtown Omaha, Douglas Co., <NEspindalis79...>

Join us on Facebook!