Date: 10/23/17 10:04 am
From: Jim Mountjoy <jmountjo...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Red Crossbill in Knox County, and a few other sightings
Hello everyone,

This morning I had at least 1 (perhaps 2) RED CROSSBILL fly over my yard in
the north end of Galesburg (#142 for my yard list). I also had a PURPLE
FINCH, and a flock of 5+ birds that were probably siskins (only one quick
call note from the whole group...). Another notable was a single TREE
SWALLOW, flying straight south at speed.

Yesterday I did some birding in Lee and Ogle counties. The weather was
pretty miserable for much of the day, but I was scheduled to accompany a
group of students on a visit to Nachusa Grasslands, so I tried to make the
best of the day. My best bird was a MERLIN at one of the restorations
(near Flagg Road in Ogle Co.). It perched in a dead tree in front of the
group and ate some avian prey while my binoculars were passed around to the
whole group. For a county lister, common birds can also be satisfying if
they plug a hole in your county list, so finally getting CAROLINA WRENS in
Lee County and SWAMP SPARROWS in Ogle County made me happy. It was also
nice to see some numbers of dabbling ducks at Rochelle and Nachusa - mostly
MALLARDS, some GADWALL, a few N PINTAIL and two AMERICAN WIGEON (at
Nachusa).

Jim Mountjoy
Galesburg IL

D. James Mountjoy

Associate Professor

(on Sabbatical Spring and Fall Terms 2017)

Knox College

Department of Biology

2 East South Street

Galesburg, Illinois 61401-4999