Date: 10/23/17 8:38 am
From: Noah Bers <noahbers...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Virginia Rail rescued at Fort McHenry
This past Saturday on the Fort McHenry Saturday Monitoring Walk, we discovered a Virginia Rail sitting with it's eyes closed along the edge of the Phragmites in the controlled access area. Since one rarely sees Rails this close, and its big feet and legs weren't visible, it actually took us a few moments to ID it as a VIRA.

We contacted Phoenix Wildlife Center who confirmed our suspicion that the bird was not well. I gently scooped up the bird and it opened its big red eyes which was a relief. We could see no readily apparent injury and its feathers were in good condition and very soft. A park employee provided us with a small box and I was able to deliver it to Phoenix.

This was a lifer for me so I'm extra glad that we could help it out. I'll follow up as I find out more.