Date: 10/23/17 6:38 am
From: 'James Tyler Bell' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Possible NECO in southern Calvert, 10/23
Happy Mole Day!

As I was driving north on Rt. 4 this morning, just north of the Rousby Hall Road interchange in Lusby, a group of 6 cormorants flew overhead. There was a significantly smaller one in the group with a plus-sign shape compared to the cross shape typical of Double-crested Cormorants. The group disappeared to the west possibly heading toward the Patuxent River. There are lots of piers along the river where cormorants hang out but there is often a nice concentration further down river near Pt. Patience on the St. Mary's County side of the river. Or perhaps Sotterley Plantation or Greenwell State Park? Would be awesome if Mikey's Neotropic Cormorant that hung out in the North Beach/Chesapeake Beach area this summer had migrated a bit further south. The Dominion natural gas terminal, a mile offshore north of Cove Point is a resting spot for hundreds of cormorants and that location is just about due east of where my sighting occurred this morning.
Tyler Bell
<jtylerbell...>
California, Maryland