Date: 10/22/17 5:41 pm
From: John Fussell <jofuss...>
Subject: Long-billed Curlew at east Shackleford Banks, NC
Today, we (Chandra Biggerstaff and I) saw the Long-billed Curlew that was
reported by Sheryl McNair on Friday. It was on the outer (ocean) side of
the island at high tide. Chandra got some good photos of the bird.

(I assume this is not the same Long-billed Curlew recently seen at the
Rachel Carson Reserve at Beaufort--that site is about 9 miles to the NW.)

Although today's high tide was higher than average, conditions were not the
best for putting big shorebirds (godwits, Willets) on the outer beach (i.e.
no brisk NE wind), and we did not see the large godwit-Willet flock. Thus
conditions were not the best for finding the Bar-tailed Godwit, which I
assume is still in the area.

We also did not find any Reddish Egrets. Perhaps they have headed south by
now.

The Ipomoea pes-caprae vine has not grown much in two weeks.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC

Join us on Facebook!