Date: 10/21/17 1:43 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan Beach, Lyons Woods & North Point Marina Saturday 10-21-17
Hello Bird People,

Today Bob Erickson & I covered Waukegan Beach & Lyons Woods & then I
checked State Line Beach & N. Point Marina on my own. Here are my
lists:

Waukegan Beach, Pier & Backwaters (7:15-8 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (2 on pier)
Canada Goose (36 on beach & in the inlet)
Mallard (5 in the lake & 3 in the inlet)
Shoveler (6 in the inlet)
SEMIPALMATED PLOVER (1 on the pier, getting late)
Killdeer (1 along the road)
Sanderling (3 on the pier & 3 on the beach)
Ring Billed (~40) & Herring (~15) Gulls
Red Winged Blackbird (11-12 in the inlet)

Lyons Woods (8:15-9:30 a.m.)

Merlin (2 chasing each other by the parking lot)
Canada Goose (1 fly-by)
Mallard (5 fly-bys)
Sandhill Crane (1 fly-by)
Red Bellied (2) & Downy (1) Woodpeckers
Blue Jay (6-7)
Crow (1 fly-by)
Chickadee (4)
Red Breasted Nuthatch (4)
Eastern Bluebird (6-8)
Robins (8)
Cedar Waxwing (1 group of about 20)
Y.R. Myrtle (4) & BLACKPOLL (1) Warblers
Cardinal (1-F)
ROSE BREASTED GROSBEAK (1 adult male with lots of red remaining on the throat)
Eastern Towhee (heard 1)
Field (4) & Song (1) Sparrows
White Crowned (2) & White Throated (6) Sparrows
Dark Eyed Junco (6)
Red Winged Blackbird (1-M singing by the parking lot)
House Finch (1)
PURPLE FINCH (1-F)
Pine Siskin (flock of 40 or so flying by while calling)
Goldfinch (8-10)

State Line Beach & N.Point Marina

The only birds on the beach were Ring Billed & Herring Gulls & one Palm Warbler.
In the marina harbor were 16 D.C. Cormorants, 8 Coots & about 200 R.B.
& Herring Gulls.
The 4 SURF SCOTERS were in the harbor mouth area where they have been
but all were flushed out to the lake when a lady decided to take her 2
barking dogs on the fishing pier.
Flying by over the IBSP North Unit area were HARRIER (1), Red Tailed
Hawk (2) & a pair of loudly calling SANDHILL CRANES which landed
nearby. Both Red Bellied & Hairy Woodpeckers (1 each) were near the
parking lot.

Techny North & Air Station Prairie

I hadn't checked either of the Techny spots as I assumed they'd be
flooded & the north section was as was Air Station Prairie. At Techny
North were Cormorants (5), P.B. Grebes (3), Great Blues (2), Great
Egret (1), Mallard (18), Gadwall (3) & Green Winged Teal (2-M)

Not much at Air Station Prairie but one confused Western Chorus Frog
decided it was Spring again & was singing away much like the Red Wings
that have been singing in October.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the redder than expected Rose Breasted Grosbeak &
Runners-Up to the Purple Finch, the Surf Scoters & the late Semipalmated Plover.

Here's hoping the Hegewisch Ibis remains as I have never seen that
species (White Faced) in Cook County.

Al Stokie
Mostly in N.E. Lake County today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>