Date: 10/21/17 12:47 pm
From: <sammanning19...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Red Crossbills -- Burt, Washington, and Douglas Counties -- 10/21
This morning and early afternoon, my father and I checked a few locations in Burt, Washington, and Douglas counties. While there weren't a lot of birds around, we had a few notable sightings. At Summit Lake SRA, we found a pair of Red Crossbills in the pine trees southwest of the boat ramp and a slightly late Spotted Sandpiper was present as well. After that, we decided checked the Tekamah Cemetery and found a flock of ~20 Red Crossbills there. This flock seemed to be made up of two different call types. We then continued southward, checking a couple more cemeteries on our way. The Blair Cemetery had 1 Red Crossbill and the Fort Calhoun Cemetery was pretty quiet. Our final stop was at Forest Lawn Cemetery in Omaha. There, we found ~25 Red Crossbills in the trees around the Scott Family plot. This group seemed to contain the same two call types as the Tekamah Cemetery group, but there may have been a third call type present as well.

I was able to audio record all of the crossbills we found today, and I am going to email them to Matt Young from Cornell University to help identify them to type.

Sightings to be uploaded to eBird.

Sam Manning
Omaha, Douglas County, NE

Join us on Facebook!