Date: 10/21/17 11:03 am
From: Trice Berkley <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Interesting Bird morning in Elkhart
Driving toward Mishawaka from the westside of Elkhart this morning, we first saw an immature male Cooper's Hawk stalking a black squirrel which was  hiding in a bush - when the squirrel came out, the hawk ran after it, only flying when the squirrel made it to a very small tree's trunk. Then the Cooper's took off flying after it, missing on its first try. We didn't stay stopped in the road long enough to see if he came back for a second try - it was on Maple Row just east of West Blvd.
Continuing west on California Road (CR12), we saw 3 Double-crested Cormorants perched in trees along the quarry pond across from Memorial High School.
Upon returning home around noon, we had a yard full of White-throated Sparrows, several Yellow-rumped Warblers and a Hermit Thrush.