Date: 10/21/17 5:25 am
From: Spike Selig <spikeselig...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Fw: Western dark morph Red-tailed Hawk at Goose Pond Oct. 20, 2017

On Friday, October 20, 2017 8:28 PM, Spike Selig <spikeselig...> wrote:

My wife Mary and I spent the afternoon at Goose Pond today, Friday, Oct. 20, 2017.We crossed the pond area heading S on Hwy 59 to 500 S where we turned left to the East, then  driving East  T where 500 becomes a closed  private lane. Here, we turned left and drove North to just South of the road crossing high tension power lines. A dark Harlan's Red-tailed was sitting on the power line tower. The bird appeared almost black but the white outer primaries bases showed white. The tail showed dark red but definitely red. The hawk was being harassed by starlings that chased it South Westward where we lost sight of it.  While we were chasing the hawk Westward on  500 S to 59, we saw 2 Eastern Red-tailed hawks perched on adjacent telephone poles. I tried to get my scope set up for pictures of the Harlan's  but the hawk went airborne before I got the scope set up.On another note, my son's best friend lives North of Lake Lemmon, SW of Martinsville and E of Morgan Monroe State Forrest. That Forrest is just North of the old Bloomington dump where Crows can be found in the area.  He  used to live in Florida and had many  experiences with Fish Crows, knowing their calls.  He said he was surprised when Fish Crows showed up near his home in the woods giving the "Caah" or "Gaah" calls. I do not have exact dates but the observations were this summer 2017.
Spike Selig

Join us on Facebook!