Date: 10/20/17 6:00 pm
From: <mvjohnski...>
Subject: [cobirds] Re: RFI: cranes in the San Luis Valley

On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 12:33:55 PM UTC-6, Sandra Laursen wrote:

> hi folks,
> I'm heading to the Arkansas River valley and San Luis Valley this weekend
> and would be glad of info on where sandhill cranes are hanging out. And
> any other birdy spots! The recent messages have been Front Range-centric
> and I'd love to hear from folks in Chaffee and Saguache counties
> (especially) or Rio Grande and Alamosa counties.
>
> thanks
> Sandra Laursen
> Boulder

It is a fabulous year for fall Sandhill Cranes in the San Luis Valley. Here
are some hotspots to check out when you visit. Near Monte Vista, try the 3E
road north of Home Lake SWA. Today there were ample numbers scattered in
the wetlands and grainfields. Also try south of Monte Vista on Hwy 15.
There are excellent numbers 1 mile south of the town and farther south. I
live in that area and the daily flyovers morning and evenings have been
superb. Finally a good area is to drive the Stanley Road east from
Countyline Road (aka 6E). This road is 6 miles East of Monte Vista on Hwy
160 and then turn left (north) and drive for about 3 miles and watch for a
right turn (Stanley Road). Hope that helps...

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO