Date: 10/20/17 5:39 pm
From: <mvjohnski...>
Subject: [cobirds] Save the Trees
It's been an interesting week. After seeing more trees at Home Lake in the
San Luis Valley succumb to the beavers on the east side, I had finally had
enough. So on this past Monday, I called the Colorado Parks and Wildlife
Monte Vista Office, and discussed my concerns with District Manager Luke
Hoffman. The trees around the lake are very important in providing shade
for the lake's fisheries, keeping waters cool for a variety of fish that
they stock there. The fish also feed numerous birds such as the pelicans,
cormorants, osprey and eagles that we see there fairly frequently. The
trees, as we birders know, also provide an important resting and feeding
area for breeding and migrating birds. That was Monday.

Today Friday, as I drove around the lake, I was surprised to see wire-mesh
screens placed around many of the smaller cottonwood trees on the east side
of the lake. I also bumped into Fred?...the CPW assistant that put the
screens up this past week and thanked him for doing so. It made my week for
sure....

It is a rare day when we can experience such expeditious response from
agency personnel. And I know first hand how processes have to run their
course, having spent 30 years in government service. But it was a
refreshing sight to see such a quick response that should have immediate
positive effects on the birds and fish at Home Lake. And the beavers will
do fine with the many willows available to them in the canal and river.
Great job by CPW personnel.

John Rawinski
Monte Vista, CO