Date: 10/19/17 8:22 am
From: Jeff Parks <lastimout...>
Subject: [cobirds] Foothills birds venturing out into flatlands

Hey-o

I have seen a couple of discussions recently about seeing birds that are
normally found in the foothills in areas where they are not as common. I
too have seen several birds in my neighborhood this year that are more
commonly seen in the foothills. This week I have had a few different birds
show up once I decided to put up my bird feeder and put in some sunflower
seeds. There have been a few Red-Breasted Nuthatches, some Black-Capped
Chickadees (no Mountain ones yet), several Dark-Eyed Juncos of various
persuasions, two or three Blue Jays, and to my surprise, a Steller's Jay
was hopping around out there the other day. I have had a Brown Creeper
show up occasionally, and a Downy Woodpecker was here off and on in the
spring, working the suet feeder. Late this summer, I had a Spotted Towhee
in the bushes a couple of times, and there were a couple of Western
Tanagers in the late spring. I have to keep a close eye on my cats when
the feeder is up so they don't try and catch the ones on the ground. I may
have to get another super soaker ...

Good Birding -

Jeff Parks
Boulder, CO