Date: 10/12/17 8:44 pm
From: 'Pamela Culbertson' via IA-BIRD <ia-bird...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Crazy Backyard Bird!!!
This evening around 7pm I heard a very loud bird from my backyard, in a neighbor's tree. Intermittently hearing it make different noises, including a loud whistling noise once, I was scanning the tall tree for this bird.
Finally spotted it and was surprised to see that it was a large parakeet! It was green, with a bright red bill, and bluish hue on it's very long tail! It was on the end of a branch so I turned to go get my camera and it flew away. In googling parakeets, as near as I could tell from a distance, it seems to match up as being a Ringnecked Parakeet. Assuming this is an escapee. Read how they have become proliferate in London, England from escaped birds breeding since the 1960's. They love fruit and are becoming a problem for wineries over in England. This may be a dumb question, but they also eat sunflower seeds and peanuts so could they survive an Iowa winter?

Anyway - if anyone has lost a parakeet, one was seen flying around the 300 block of East Trowbridge St right off SE 3rd, 1 block south of Leach!

Pam Culbertson
Des Moines, Iowa

Sent from my iPhone