Date: 10/12/17 6:47 pm
From: Tim Spahr <tspahr44...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Bethlehem Red Crossbills
Hi Birders,

On the prowl for Red Crossbills, I stopped by Trudeau Road in Bethlehem
today. It turned out to be a fantastic trip. I had 3 different flight
call types and over 30 Red Crossbills--Types 1, 3, and "7/10". (readers of
the new crossbill primer will note we think the old Type 7 represents a
fair bit of the birds we have called Type 10 in the last few years--we are
still working on this piece of the puzzle!)

There were also White-winged Crossbills present.

In addition to the crossbills, I was stunned to have a Golden Eagle go over
not too high up. A real treat for me, and my first eastern record to boot.

In the checklist below I've put up a set of recordings for most of the
finches I encountered, including lots of crossbills. Several clips have 2
flight call types. It was a challenge to separate them in the field, but
not so hard once I got the recordings home.

Good luck should anyone else go searching! I feel like there must be large
numbers of crossbills in the central and northern part of the state right
now.

good birding

Tim Spahr
<tspahr44...>