Date: 10/12/17 3:35 pm
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Thayers Gull - still griping
The two pictures "illustrating" Thayer's and "Kumlien's" are both from
Illinois, where an incredibly infintessimal fraction of either population
spends the winter. Both are
essentially pelagic in winter and any serious research should be focussed
on that 95+%of the respective populations. I'm confident that once real
research is applied the "Kumlien's" will be demoted to hybrid, and most
ABA members with "Iceland" on their list (myself included) will lose a tick.
Furthermore, the "true" Iceland depicted is from Shetland, not even the
ABA region. Why couldn't those pikers find a picture from St John's?
While the AOS awaits more research to validate the Oregon/Canada
Jay split of Gray Jay (It would be nice if they changed the name of Canada's
national bird to Whiskeyjack) it has lumped the Kumlien's without any novel
information whatsoever. The first Thayer's of fall should be showing up here
in nw Oregon any day. None of them are likely to be aware of their change
in paper status, and I hope my awareness will not diminish my pleasure
in seeing them.lpn
On Oct 12, 2017, at 1:33 PM, Robert O'Brien wrote:

> The ABA Supplement just arrived and contains a short article
> about this split.
>
> Attached is a portion of the cover and 3 photos from the article inside.
>
> Notice how the cover 'art' shows the two _species_ illustrated with
> virtually identical shape/profiles, this artist's conception.
>
> But the 3 true-to-life photographs show Thayer's with a significantly different
> size/shape/profile/jizz in the head/neck/bill than the two Icelands.
>
> Once again, I rest my case.
>
> Bob OBrien
>
> <ABA-THGU.jpg>

Join us on Facebook!