Date: 10/12/17 1:34 pm
From: Malcolm Gold <malcolmgold...>
Subject: Fall arrivals - Johnson, Douglas, and Jefferson Counties
I enjoyed the past two mornings (Fall Break for work) birding around
Lawrence and Olathe with a handful of first of season sightings. Yesterday
I joined Jon King and Matt Longabaugh at Clinton Lake. We had a single
Nelson's Sparrow at the model airplane field; a species that eluded me last
week. We had a significant number of Pine Siskins and LeConte's Sparrows
as well.

On the way back home I stopped and spent a couple hours counting migrating
raptors at Olathe Lake. A immature Golden Eagle soared overhead; this bird
might have been the same one that David Mootz saw this past weekend. A
friend from Hawk Ridge in Duluth MN indicated they had observed a slightly
earlier than normal flight for Golden Eagles, but still not many coming
through up north yet.

This morning Melissa Bruce and I returned to the model airport field below
Clinton, where fortunately the sparrows cooperated once again.
Surprisingly we had a low flyover of a Common Loon. This is the first of
the fall I have seen, even though the mid October migration through Kansas
is expected for them according to Birds of Kansas.

Afterwards we turned the heater up to dry out the soaked pants and headed
to Perry Lake. Between the wooded areas near the southeast marina and the
state park we had a first of fall Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Hermit Thursh,
Brown Creeper, and a handful of Golden-crowned Kinglets.

The cool mornings, crisp air without humidity, and return of sparrows is
nice.

Good Birding,

Malcolm Gold (Overland Park, Kansas)

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html