Date: 10/12/17 10:46 am
Subject: Outer Banks birding, Dare County NC oct 12th
Hey Birders

After the morning showers I ventured to Pea Island NWR (no flooded fields at Oregon Inlet Fishing Center so no shorebirds there). 16 species of shorebirds at the north end in North Pond. Highlights included 2 AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVERS hanging together, 2 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS, several PECTORALS, MARBLED GODWITS AND AMERICAN AVOCETS. The big misses were Western Sandpiper and Ruddy Turnstone. A MERLIN was enjoying a meal while other sandpipers cautiously walked by and a PEREGRINE sat in a tree on the west side. Ducks were in all impoundments. RUDDY DUCKS arrived this week. Thousands of NORTHERN PINTAILS, hundreds of AMERICAN WIGEON (NO EURASIAN WIGEON but easily could have missed it). Both TEALS and the usual ducks too. Had my FOF SWAMP SPARROW at the turtle pond. New Field had 2 AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS with hundreds of ducks. By the time I got to South Pond the heat shimmers were impossible to sort thur the large tern and shorebird flocks on the west side. I bet a rare Godwit
was hidden amongst the 70+ Willets and 20+ Marbled Godwits which were behind the terns.

Stopped at Bodie Island NP on the way home to see if any ducks had come to the pond --- NOT. A NORTHERN HARRIER was my consolation prize.

I hope to see all at Wings Over Water next week.

Join us on Facebook!