Date: 10/12/17 9:17 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Gillson Park Lake Watch #9 Thursday 10-12-17
Hello Bird People,

I would not have done Gillson again for the 3rd day in a row but I
have an eye doctor visit in the late a.m. so I could not go far & get
back in time so a close location was required for today.
The winds were much diminished from yesterday & they were from the
S.E. & not the preferred N.E. or east & my results showed a decline in
the bird numbers especially the ducks.

Gillson Park Lake Watch #9 (7:15-9:30 a.m.)

COMMON LOON (1 flying south)
D.C. Cormorant (11 individuals & a group of 19 flying both & south)
Canada Geese (48)
SURF SCOTER (1 group of 5 flying north)
"Dark Winged" Scoter (4, flying south)
Unknown Duck Species? (~20, very far away)
PEREGRINE (1 probably the local which flew by twice)
Ring Billed (65) & Herring (~20) Gulls (On the beach with more flying
over the lake)
Chimney Swift (2 high fly-bys)
Beach land birds were Crow (1), Starling (11) & House Sparrow (4)

Dog numbers back to normal with 8 on the beach today up from 1 yesterday.
Two sailboats made it out today after yesterday's winds kept them off the lake.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Common Loon my 1st of the Fall.
Runners-Up to the repeat Peregrine & Surf Scoters.

Al Stokie
On yet another Cook County Lake Watch

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: