Date: 10/12/17 9:00 am
From: Jonathan Lutz <jlutz...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Lucifer, Rivoli's, and late migrants at the Paton Center
Good morning, fellow birders.

This morning is the second consecutive day a female Lucifer Hummingbird was
seen visiting the feeders at the Paton Center for Hummingbirds in
Patagonia. The bird was also seen on Monday morning, working between the
set of feeders marked "Z" and the set of feeders adjacent to the meadow
garden pond. All sightings have occurred before 9:00 am and the bird has
not been recorded, to my knowledge, in the afternoon hours.

A female Rivoli's Hummingbird continues, seeming to favor the pair of
feeders marked "X." The bird visits these feeders infrequently, perhaps at
30-minute intervals, so the suggestion is to be patient and enjoy the
variety of other birds visiting the water feature.

We're experiencing a nice overlap of recently-arrived winter
residents--White-crowned and Lincoln's Sparrows, Green-tailed Towhee, and
Pyrrhuloxia--and late fall migrants, including: Wilson's Warbler, Lazuli
Bunting, and Blue Grosbeak.

Early and late in the day have been the best times for viewing all species.
Overall, hummingbird numbers have decreased significantly and the influx of
winter resident Anna's Hummingbirds is more apparent by the day.

This week is the Patagonia Fall Festival, which runs Friday to Sunday and
draws 15,000 visitors over the course of the weekend. Parking in the
vicinity of restaurants, shops, and Patagonia Town Park will be
challenging, if you choose to visit. Likewise, we're expecting a spike in
the number of both birding and non-birding visitors at the Paton Center.
Please be patient and respectful with regards to parking at our small site;
do not use the neighbors' driveway as a turnaround or pull-through. You can
easily make a u-turn by passing the cattle guard on Blue Heaven Road,
allowing you to park in the shade along the fence line.

Please remember that the Paton Center operation depends on the generosity
of visitors. Thank you for considering a contribution to the on-site Sugar
Fund. No smoking, off-leash pets, or flash photography is allowed at the
Paton Center. We hope to see you soon!

Best regards,
Jonathan

PS> If you didn't catch the Paton Center's recent segment on Arizona Public
Media's *Arizona Illustrated*, here's the link:

https://tv.azpm.org/p/azill-recent/2017/10/10/118008-the-paton-center/

Jonathan E. Lutz
Paton Center Coordinator
Tucson Audubon Society