Date: 10/12/17 4:29 am
From: Matt Heindel <mtheindel...>
Subject: [texbirds] Re: Warbler ID Discussion
I can’t weigh in on what you saw, but can say I’ve had the good fortune of seeing a decent number of CT Warblers in fall and none look like the ad male you describe. I do not know enough of timing of migration by age and sex, but would guess this would be pretty late for an ad male. I need figured out if ad males are duller in fall or if I never saw one…...Most of my views of this species were in the Pt. Peel area where we would take annual trips from late Aug to mid Sep and we would get 1-3 annually, and a couple of occasions a few more. The birds we would see, which would match the few CA birds I’ve seen as vagrants, are not gray hooded but more brownish and this brownish extended to the underparts as well. Compared to Mourning, as an example, they were a duller bird, both on upperparts and underparts.
So, no idea what you saw, but if it was a CT, it had to have been an ad male, which is even more odd for location and season.

Matt Heindel
Fair Oaks Ranch TX

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner