Date: 10/11/17 7:05 pm
From: Jim Forde <jimforde...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Ibis, Sandhill Cranes at Otter Creek Marsh (Tama Co.)
This evening I stopped at the marsh and liked the improved conditions after recent rains but the walkable area is much smaller with
the refuge closed. Still, I was able to scope into the refuge with success, finding;

2 Plegadis Ibis
121 Sandhill Cranes

Outside the refuge I found a flock of Rusty Blackbirds plus a few shorebirds (LB Dows, Stilt SPs, and L. Yellowlegs). Marsh sparrow
habitat abounded with Swamp Sparrows abundant. I didn't spend much time looking for Nelson's Sparrows but they must have been there.

Taking Hwy. 30 home, I was dismayed to see miles of felled trees and cedars east of the the marsh. I used to think of that as
a scenic stretch and wondered what birds might be in those trees. It sure didn't take long for machinery to dramatically change
that landscape. I began to wonder why it happened and came up with the idea that the highway might be widening to 4 lanes.
That would be called progress.

Jim Forde
Cedar Rapids