Date: 10/11/17 6:58 pm
From: <ksharum...> [sbcobirding] <sbcobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [sbcobirding] Vermillion flycatcher at Preisker Park
A friend and I birded Preisker Park in Santa Maria this morning and saw many yellow-rumped warblers. The highlight however was a flycatcher that I could not identify at first because it had streaking on the breast as well as lacking any kind of eyering. It wasn't until later that I realized it was a female vermillion flycatcher. My previous sightings of this bird were all males. I later returned at 4:45 to confirm and the bird was still there. Its location was on a knoll in the southeast corner of the park, near the fire station. I'm relatively new to the area and am unsure how rare this bird is but it was certainly noteworthy to me. The park was rather birdy. Other birds seen included Western bluebird, American goldfinch, Northern flicker, Townsend's warbler, Say's and black phoebe, other woodpecker sp. and a nuthatch sp.

Kathy Sharum
Santa Maria

Join us on Facebook!