Date: 10/11/17 6:13 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Woodhouse
Thanks for posting this.  An important point:  The genetic analyses used mitochondrial DNA, which is maternally inherited.

So those western Nevada birds may have had largely California-type nuclear genomes.  Their result suggests that somethink like the following occured:   At some time in the past the two came into contact, there were some mixed pairs consisting of California males and Woodhouse's females, and their offspring backcrossed into the Californian population, and further, the Woodhouse-type mitochondria gave the hybrid females an advantage, but the environment and/or social factors selected for California phenotypes.

Mitochondria handle energy processing for cells, and their DNA does not have a lot of influence on external phenotype.

Wayne
On 10/11/2017 12:42:06 PM, Nelson, Kim <kim.nelson...> wrote:
Thanks Matt.  Here is the full paper in case anyone is interested.
http://condorjournal.org/doi/full/10.1525/auk.2008.07088?code=coop-site [http://condorjournal.org/doi/full/10.1525/auk.2008.07088?code=coop-site]

S. Kim Nelson
Oregon State University
104 Nash Hall
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife
Corvallis, OR 97331-3803
541.737.1962
<kim.nelson...> [mailto:<kim.nelson...>]