Date: 10/11/17 5:21 pm
From: Tim Spahr <tspahr44...>
Subject: [NHBirds] eBird crossbill primer
Hi New Hampshire and Massachusetts birders:

There is an updated version of the 2012 eBird crossbill primer, just
released today:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/crossbills-of-north-america-species-and-red-crossbill-call-types/

There's lots of good information in there, including good descriptions of
each flight call type, the new Cassia Crossbill, and even a new flight call
type found in Central America in the last couple of years!

There are currently good numbers of crossbills (Types 2, 3, 4, and even 5!)
moving across the country west to east. These will add to an already
pretty large group of Type 1 and Type 7/10 here currently. As the season
unfolds we are hoping for a really good push further east, maybe further
south, and maybe even some breeding in the early spring.

Please attempt recordings for any crossbills you encounter in the field.
Digital camera video settings or phone voice memo features are perfectly
acceptable means of recording to get the birds to flight call type.

If there are any questions, don't hesitate to contact either Matt Young or
me (contact information at the end of the article linked above). We will be
happy to respond so long as we are not out in the field chasing the birds.

good birding!

Tim Spahr
<tspahr44...>