Date: 10/11/17 5:13 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (11 Oct 2017) 42 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 42 300 11722

Observation start time: 09:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Evelyn Fowles, Hank Davis, Kathleen Pileggi, Mike Fowles

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (6): Hank Davis, Kathleen Pileggi, Rick Casey, Mike Fowles, Evelyn
Fowles.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Overcast with a bit of drizzle (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 7,100-3,100
ft., Visibility - 10-6 miles, Temps 66 - 72F, Winds NE @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Bald Eagle,
1-Cooper's Hawk, 2-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous
Black (55) and Turkey Vultures (65).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-1; adult-0
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“What Would You Like to Camouflage?”---

Feels good to be caught up on my writing and reports after the annual “Big
Sit” barrage…. It’s hard not to get behind when you’re in the field 14
hours per day running consecutive events.

Hank was at “The Watch” even before me this morning. Or at least it
sounded like Hank. I couldn’t see him. This someone sounding like Hank
was adorned totally in camouflage, WEARING a mini camouflage blind
concealing the person within, tripod, camera, and long lens. Hank always
wears shorts and if this was actually Hank under there, I’m sure camouflage
shorts were involved – concealing his…well, um…”shortcomings!” (sorry
Hank) Whoever this “arrangement” concealed, was here attempting to
photograph the Orange-crowned Warbler we’ve had the last three days, and
perhaps the Lincoln’s Sparrows. At 8:44am the Lincoln’s came in and got
his picture taken by “Hank.” The Orange-crowned never did… I fear it gone.

I never did see Hank, but I did see my cinnamon-raisin bagel (with berry
cream cheese), for it was not in a camouflage bag, rather it took temporary
refuge in a plain brown bag with Wawa written over it - a dead giveaway.
In the end it was found and devoured, meeting a cruel, harsh end – washed
down by “field coffee.”

Half of the mystery of Saturday’s drive-by bloggings is solved as people
came forward. I thought they might. Admitting you have a problem is the
first step towards solving it, right? Thanks Dave & Rita for coming for
speaking up…it shall set you free! So, although I was indeed the victim of
a drive-by blogging – at least it was not anonymous. And thanks so much
for your comments, Dave & Rita.

We had a late Broad-winged come right overhead this morning – an immature.

Friend Rick, was here checking the pipeline. It’s still here, Rick! .

Boy, were the Monarchs moving today! They were very high and obviously
migrating, but every time you scanned high up there were several in view,
no matter where you looked! We watched a Sharp-shinned Hawk initially go
after a Monarch (thinking it a bird?) and upon realizing what it was,
decided against it.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-Great Blue Heron, 1-Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, 1-Ruby-crowned Kinglet,
20-Palm Warbler, 2-Swamp Sparrow, 2-Lincoln's Sparrow, 4-White-crowned
Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (8): Monarch - 500, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tailed Blue, Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered
Skipper, Buckeye, Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (1): Green Darner.
Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (1): Eastern Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.27; Steps: 10,012; Floors: 9.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 54; this season: 123
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks overcast with a threat of mid-day showers. Who
knows?
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description: