Date: 10/11/17 2:54 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Timberline Lodge Birding - a quiz
After getting some responses to the Mt. Hood quiz, I compiled a 'most
likely' list and then
checked eBird for the number of all time reported sightings at Timberline
Lodge.
This doesn't take into account the 'food' part of the question. Corvids
(crows)
were the most common 'guess'. Of course there was no 'correct' answer
because this was just a single observation. On another day there would be
another group of birds.

eBird Results for number of checklists reporting out of 267 :
(this assumes I didn't screw up the eBird search).

mountain bluebird 7
american robin 4
townsend's solitaire 4
varied thrush 0
swainson's thrush 0

cassin's finch 5
house finch 2
red crossbill 1
pine siskin 1

common raven 18
clark's nutcracker 12
gray jay 1

See attached for my particular observation.

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 3:46 PM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:

> On the way to Bonney Butte I thought to stop and bird a little
> above Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood (photo attached). I did not have high
> expectations and there were no surprises.
>
> I found only 2 species, 5-10 each, both in the same family, and feeding
> together
> (e.g. ducks family or finches family, etc.); but feeding on different
> food items.
> Can you guess the 4 identities, the birds and the foods?
>
> If you have nothing better to do, reply offline; otherwise,
> answers in a day or so.
>
> Bob OBrien

Join us on Facebook!