Date: 10/11/17 1:28 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Gillson Park Lake Watch #8 Wed 10-11-17
Hello Bird People,

Encouraged by the ebird report from Greg N & his group's success with
an afternoon Lake Watch at Gillson & not wanting to try again in the
rain I decided to wait before arriving. Arrived at 10 a.m. & Bob
Erickson was already there. But it was still raining & the conditions
were murky/foggy so that the only area you could see was the close to
shore area with no distant viewing possible. Within 30 min the rain
stopped & the lighting improved for better viewing.

But very few ducks were flying & our only highlights were 2
BONAPARTE'S GULLS & 3-4
FORSTER'S TERNS. Later Jeff Sanders arrived but except for Cormorants
& the large number of
Ring Billed (~250) & Herring (~50) Gulls on the beach we didn't see
many birds & so Bob gave up.

Jeff & I stayed until 1:30 p.m when once again it began to rain
although lightly. During that time the number of flying ducks
increased although we only saw 6 duck species which were:

Mallard (3-4)
Pintail (groups of 10 & 4)
Redhead (1 group of 12)
SURF SCOTER (groups of 5 & 3)
BLACK SCOTER (a group of 5)
Red Breasted Merganser (6-8)
And many "duck species" too far to work with.

Eventually the Cormorants reached 101 & we had visits from 1 of the
local Red Tailed Hawks & the local PEREGRINE which caused all 300
gulls to panic & fly every time it flew by. The only land birds on the
beach were Crow & Palm Warbler (1 each).

Not being a very pleasant day there was only 1 jogger & 1 dog running
on the beach. Two determined surfers tried repeatedly to paddle out
far enough to do a run back in to the beach but they were unable to
paddle out more than about 10 ft as the waves were just too high to
get past.

Bird-Of-The-Day will be a tie between the Bonaparte's Gulls & the
Forster's Terns.
Runners-Up to the Surf Scoters which I have now seen 3 times in the
last 3 visits & the Black Scoters which, had they been in closer,
would have been top bird for today.

Al Stokie
Spending yet another windy day at a Cook County Lake Watch

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: