Date: 10/11/17 9:59 am
From: Molly Zahn <mollymzahn...>
Subject: Peregrines etc. at Baker
I took half an hour (OK, 45 min) this morning and stopped at Baker Wetlands
(west side). It was gray and cold. Lots of ducks on the pond on the north
end of the restoration area. I didn't take the time to sort them all out
but some pintail and widgeon and lots of gadwall (and p-b grebes and
coots). Also 10 (presumably) white-faced ibis and 4 great egrets. An eagle
got all the ducks in the air, and then a peregrine made a couple swoops
without getting anything. Not sure I've ever seen one actually hunting! It
went off to the south and joined up with a second peregrine on the south
edge of the wetlands. They then came back north and took another swipe at
the ducks before disappearing. Very cool. Also a kestrel, harrier, and
red-tail about.

It really felt like fall -- I'm not looking forward to the heat returning
this weekend!

Molly Zahn
Lawrence

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html