Date: 10/11/17 9:36 am
From: Gregor Yanega <gregor.yanega...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Fw: [RV Birds] hi from shannon and a question about poorwills
I also can't claim expertise about poorwills, but I have studied their
physiology a little bit (indirectly) and I have a few suggestions.

1. I think the best and most recent physiological literature on hibernation
in Common poorwill comes from a book chapter by Woods and Brigham (2004).
Their data comes from Arizona. It may be that few Common poorwill winter
this far north.

Their study confirms that Common poorwill enter torpor for extended periods
(you knew this), and do little metabolic work to regulate temperature in
this time, but roost in exposed sites so that they can elevate their body
temperature daily through the use of passive solar warming. I am unclear
as to whether these "passively aroused" birds attempt to feed, or not.
Cornell Lab of O states that the expected range of weights for Common
poorwill are between 36 and 55g (
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Common_Poorwill/lifehistory), which
might mean your bird is on the low end (but not near necessarily near
death). My suggestion would be that you provide a well-lit or warmed
environment during the day and let the bird rouse itself, then feed it.

2. I don't know a lot about goatsucker husbandry, but what I'd do is write
people who have experience with wild bird rescue and husbandry. My first
suggestion would be to contact Elise Wolf of Native Bird Care of Sisters,
Oregon (http://www.nativebirdcare.org/contact.html). 541-728-8208. I
don't know her personally, but she seems to have experience caring for
injured poorwills and can offer help via email or phone.

Good luck,
GY