Date: 10/11/17 8:16 am
From: Reames, Clark -FS <creames...>
Subject: Re: Birds, feral hogs, and poison baits in Arkansas
Despite the best efforts to use this "properly", spillage will occur, other species (assorted birds to include turkeys, squirrels, deer, small mammals) will all get some level of exposure. Basically any critter that will feed on corn and that is a lot of critters. As most of you know, warfarin is the active ingredient in rat poison and it works as a blood thinner in humans in controlled doses. This is also the same stuff that the national forests have been dealing with in conjunction with illegal marijuana growing sites. There is a lot of toxic cleanup required at these sites and the big issue for wildlife is the excessive use of rat poisons (warfarin) at these sites. You know it is not being used "properly" in those areas. I also doubt that it will be 100% effective on hogs in a given area so we are asking for trouble with this idea.

[Forest Service Shield]

Clark Reames
Wildlife Program Manager

Forest Service