Date: 10/11/17 7:27 am
From: Warblerick <ricksussman1955...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Yard migrants, Woodbine
Didn't expect much this morning with the lousy weather, but I was pleasantly surprised. A deer in the outer hedgerow spooked my FOS White-throated Sparrow (or 2), and right nearby was a female Black & White Warbler. I planted 6 hawthorn trees some years ago to provide food and nesting habitat for birds (which has bee n successful) but this year they've been kind of scruffy looking, so I was surprised to find one had 2 Ruby-crowned Kinglets, with one displaying his signature crown to the other, and a very yellow Tennessee Warbler, which at first glance I was hoping would be an Orange-crowned. Just behind the Tennessee was a still bright male CAPE MAY WARBLER, foraging for insects I guess. They stayed for quite a while before flying back into taller trees. Then came a single Yellow-rumped Warbler. A bit later in the front meadow, which was alive with activity, there was a single Field Sparrow and 2 Blue-headed Vireos, coming in so close I almost didn't need binoculars! And yesterday there was a female Common Yellowthroat and a single Palm Warbler in the front meadow as well.
Rick Sussman
Woodbine, MD