Date: 10/11/17 6:45 am
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: Birds, feral hogs, and poison baits in Arkansas
Here's a link to info on control of feral hogs in Arkansas. There is lots of info about Kaput, the warfarin poison they want to start using in Arkansas.

http://www.aad.arkansas.gov/feral-hog-eradication-task-force<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.aad.arkansas.gov_feral-2Dhog-2Deradication-2Dtask-2Dforce&d=DwMFaQ&c=7ypwAowFJ8v-mw8AB-SdSueVQgSDL4HiiSaLK01W8HA&r=H1hTcN0NM8wYZkkrS28mdw&m=q4dTueq58uBg_Rhaz30QuafOE1xm7SDJcVsl9wmMbjw&s=4mOm3Vq_4aXAchmnoQq6cXkjHkXmJqeXEXPT0DrxNv4&e=>

I encourage everyone interested to go to the third link down to an anonymous survey about hogs and kaput and other toxicants. That’s where you can voice your opinion about this.

Feral hogs are a problem in Arkansas, as elsewhere. One solution now being proposed for use in Arkansas is a poison bait called Kaput. Most of us are aware of the impacts of poison baits on non-target wildlife. Non-target wildlife equals Bald Eagles, both vulture species, and probably all raptorial birds with foraging habits that include scavenging, and on and on.

Those proposing use of Kaput in Arkansas claim that if Kaput is used properly, it will not have the negative impacts. That’s a serious problem for me, because these substances are never just “used properly.” If I have learned anything at all over many years working in the outdoors, it is that once technologies like this are available, they will not always be used properly. They will be used as individuals see fit, including individuals who will not read labels, instructions, restrictions, or who just flat don’t care what non-target species are impacted.

There is a lot to read in these links. I recommend at least taking a look at one article toward the end of the links, under the heading NEWS, MEDIA ADVISORIES AND ARTICLES,” specifically one titled “Is kaput kaput?” published by the Wildlife Society. Here is a short bit from the article:

“Opponents worry Kaput will reach beyond wild pigs. Black bears (Ursus americanus) and raccoons (Procyon lotor) could lift the lids of feeders that dispense the bait, they fear. Predators or scavengers, including bald eagles (Haliaeetus leucocephalus), might be poisoned by feeding on the hogs’ carcasses. Warfarin washing into water-ways may poison fish. They also worry hunters may inadvertently kill and eat hogs that have ingested the toxicant but haven’t yet died.”

Join us on Facebook!