Date: 10/11/17 12:05 am
From: Sara Caulk <0000006993f5a594-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: birds
We had at least 3 female ruby-throated hummers at our feeders this morning (technically yesterday 10/10 since it's past midnite) adding some brightness to a cold and dark day. With most people in the neighborhood not spending time outdoors today, it was a luxury for me to be able to hear just the wind in the pines and the sound of leaves falling to the ground...  no mowers, blowers, edgers, chainsaws. Even the neighborhood construction workers seemed to be taking a break today. No aromas from burning wet leaves being shared with those downwind. Spending time outside today breathing cool air and listening sounds not made by man was a real sensory treat... mind candy.   A small flock of house finches arrived around 4 this afternoon after not visiting the feeders for a while, and they got added to the list of our usual yard birds: cardinals; chickadees; titmice; woodpeckers (downy, hairy and red-bellied) Carolina wrens; robins; white-breasted nuthatches. We've also been hearing one and sometimes two great-horned owls almost every nite for the past month or so.
SaraFayetteville on the south side Mt. Sequoyah looking north