Date: 10/10/17 8:37 pm
From: <rlshonkw...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Des Plaines River forest preserves and Palos sloughs
I joined fellow Hyde Parker and Jackson Park birder Dan Lory for an outing away from the lake front today. Our main goal was waterfowl at the Palos area sloughs but with northeast winds I thought it might be good to hit some of the forest preserves along the Des Plaines River off of Harlem. We stopped at White Eagle Woods and Chicago Portage. Unfortunately there was no big influx of migrants but we did see a couple nice birds, including a RUSTY BLACKBIRD (FOY) at White Eagle and a SHARP-SHINNED HAWK at Chicago Portage. We then headed to McGinnis Slough. There were a lot of ducks at McGinnis, mostly in the area directly west of the parking lot, including both teal, especially GREEN-WINGED TEAL, GADWALL, A. WIGEON and N. SHOVELER. There was a male N. PINTAIL here and a female at the overlook to the north. There were also 5 RUDDY DUCKS and 12 RING-NECKED DUCKS visible from the overlook. We also checked Bergman Slough, John Duffy and Saganashkee Slough but there wasn't that many waterfowl. There were 4 adult TRUMPETER SWANS at John Duffy, 3 RUDDY DUCKS, a RING-NECKED DUCK and 8 N. SHOVELERS at Sag Slough, plus at least 3 BONAPARTE'S GULLS (FOY). We only had 3 sparrow species on the day: SONG, SWAMP and WHITE-THROATED and 3 warbler species: YELLOW-RUMPED, PALM and 2 TENNESSEE WARBLER (1 each at McGinnis and John Duffy). Our full list follows.

Abbreviations: WEW=White Eagle Woods, CP=Chicago Portage, MSL=McGinnis Slough, BSL=Bergman Slough, JD=John Duffy, SSL=Saganashkee Slough.
Canada Goose: WEW (60), CP (23), MSL (76), JD (14)
Trumpeter Swan: JD (4)
Wood Duck: WEW (3), CP (10), MSL (35), JD (11)
Mallard: WEW (20), CP (8), MSL (61), JD (1), SSL (2)
Gadwall: MSL (18)
N. Pintail: MSL (2)
A. Wigeon: MSL (6)
Blue-winged Teal: MSL (12)
N. Shoveler: MSL (14), SSL (8)
Green-winged Teal: MSL (53)
Ring-necked Duck: MSL (12), SSL (1)
Ruddy Duck: MSL (5), SSL (3)
dabbling duck sp: MSL (~25)
Pied-billed Grebe: WEW (1), MSL (21), BSL (1)
Double-crested Cormorant: MSL (6), JD (1), SSL (41)
Great Blue Heron: MSL (7), SSL (4)
Great Egret: MSL (26), SSL (4)
Turkey Vulture: BSL (1), SSL (2)
Sharp-shinned Hawk: CP (1)
Cooper's Hawk: WEW (2), MSL (1)
Accipiter sp: JD (1)
Red-tailed Hawk: CP (1), MSL (1)
A. Coot: MSL (295), JD (3)
Bonaparte's Gull: SSL (3)
Ring-billed Gull: MSL (2), SSL (25)
Rock Pigeon: along I-55
Mourning Dove: WEW (1)
Belted Kingfisher: MSL (1), BSL (1)
Red-bellied Woodpecker: WEW (1), CP (1)
Downy Woodpecker: WEW (3), CP (5), JD (2), SSL (1)
Hairy Woodpecker: WEW (1), CP (2)
N. Flicker: WEW (2), CP (1), MSL (1), JD (2)
Blue Jay: MSL (6), BSL (1), JD (2), SSL (2)
A. Crow: JD (1)
Black-capped Chickadee: WEW (4), CP (1), MSL (3), JD (2), SSL (1)
White-breasted Nuthatch: WEW (2), CP (1), MSL (1)
Brown Creeper: WEW (1)
Winter Wren: CP (2)
wren sp: BSL (1)
Golden-crowned Kinglet: WEW (3), CP (2), MSL (2)
E. Bluebird: MSL (1)
A. Robin: WEW (85), CP (15), JD (1)
Euro. Starling: CP (30)
Cedar Waxwing: WEW (14), CP (2)
Tennessee Warbler: MSL (1), JD (1)
Palm Warbler: MSL (6), JD (1)
Yellow-rumped Warbler: WEW (11), CP (9), MSL (16), SSL (15)
Song Sparrow: CP (2), MSL (3), JD (1)
Swamp Sparrow: MSL (2), JD (6)
White-throated Sparrow: WEW (2), CP (10), MSL (2)
N. Cardinal: WEW (2), CP (4), MSL (3), SSL (1)
Indigo Bunting: CP (3)
Rusty Blackbird: WEW (1)
Common Grackle: WEW (2)
Red-winged Blackbird: CP (8), MSL (1)
House Finch: CP (7)
A. Goldfinch: WEW (2), CP (7), MSL (1), JD (5)
Randy Shonkwiler

Hyde Park/Chicago

Join us on Facebook!