Date: 10/10/17 8:25 pm
From: Charles Gates <cgates326...>
Subject: [COBOL] Least Flycatcher in Crook County ?????????????
Lots of excitement at my house in Powell Butte today.  This afternoon, I
noticed a VARIED THRUSH in the yard so I grabbed my camera to get some
shots.  Staying very still allowed me to get close views as it foraged
in my yard and drank at my feeder.  At one point, it was joined by a
second Varied Thrush.  I then noticed some finch activity in my crab
apple tree and photographed one of the three PURPLE FINCHES munching on
crab apples.  The curved culmen and blurry sides seen well on these
birds brought me to that ID.  This is not an easy bird to find in Crook
County.

Then the real fun started.  I was busy watching the Yellow-rumped
Warblers, Spotted Towhees, White-crowned Sparrows, Juncos, flickers and
a few others when a flycatcher flew into my poplar. I grabbed the camera
and fired off some feeble attempts but got nothing but silhouettes.  The
bird flew out and I thought it was gone.  I went back to the photogenic
Varied Thrushes.  A few minutes later, the flycatcher returned.  I
watched and photographed it for about ten minutes.  It's really late for
any empid so I wanted to get good photos for documentation.  The bird
had a short bill, what looked like short wing extensions and a short
tail.  At not time did it flick the tail up or pull it down but the tail
would move slightly when the bird was at rest.  I started thinking about
the possibility of LEAST FLYCATCHER but I didn't have the field marks
for that bird memorized.  I left it after 10 minutes and what I thought
was a good sampling of photos.  When I analyzed them on the computer, I
still see a short bill and short tail but the wing extentions look short
in some photos and longer in others.  I'll let others see the photos and
give their opinions.  Fun time for sure.

Photos at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S39816467

Mark Twain

Chuck Gates
541-280-4957