Date: 10/10/17 8:29 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (10 Oct 2017) 37 Raptors

Observation start time: 10:00:00
Observation end time: 18:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Hank Davis

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (16): Hank Davis, LaFang, George & Joel Flachs, Rhoda McNitt, Lea
Gummey (+ 7 ATB group), Tim Zador, Ian Stewart.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Partly Cloudy (75-50% cloud cover), Ceiling - 28,000-30,000 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 79 - 81F, Winds NNW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Bald Eagle,
1-Cooper's Hawk, 3-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous
Black (70) and Turkey Vultures (70).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-2; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-7
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Crowned Jewel”---

What was our first bird on our fabulous “water feature” this morning, you
ask? Give me a second to make my coffee and I’ll tell you. You likely
guessed it, anyway. That’s right, it was “our” Orange-crowned Warbler
still here and acting a little cozy - arriving all by itself, lazily
sipping then splashing around a bit in “Bucktoe Basin.” Four apparent
tagalong Common Yellowthroats were in soon afterwards. I believe these two
species may be wandering our meadow in loose association, as this is the
second time I have found them together.

Hank was here to photograph our Orange-crowned. It did not appear for his
lens. Must be the lens… It was a nice day for Bald Eagles though, with
total of 10 being seen.

We stayed for the “After the Bell” group from The Land Conservancy for
Southern Chester County…we watched for Eagles, but to no avail – this time.
We did see White-crowned Sparrows, Palm Warbler and a Red-tailed Hawk.

This latest White-crowned was a second adult here for the season and was
banded – one of yours, Ian? Ian was out and showed me how to gather the
MOTUS info from the tower.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, 6-Palm Warbler, 1-Savannah Sparrow, 2-Swamp
Sparrow, 2-Lincoln's Sparrow, 4-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (8): Monarch - 14, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tailed Blue, Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered
Skipper, Buckeye, Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies (1): Green Darner.
Reptiles & Amphibians (0): Mammals (1): Eastern Cottontail.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.81; Steps: 13,637; Floors:
18.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 49; this season: 123
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like not too good a day, folks. Rain expected.
<BR><BR>
Rain or shine.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek