Date: 10/10/17 7:52 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (08 Oct 2017) 53 Raptors

Observation start time: 06:00:00
Observation end time: 20:00:00
Total observation time: 14 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (29): Marian Quinn, Kathleen Pileggi, Carolyn Laskowski, Barb
Rhoads, Jeff Wahl, George Graham, Rick Wolf, Ellie Wolf, Rhoda McNitt,
Anita Regester, Charlotte McClain, Bob Reitz, Rand McIlvaine, Rick
Robinson, Melody Montgomery, Amanda Montgomery, Chris Rummel, Linda Rummel,
Lana Glass, Jean-Marie Gauthier, Julie Engiles, Maria Zouras, Elias Zouras,
Nick Brokaw, Chloe Heimbuch, Tom Brokaw, Margretta Brokaw, Sandy Moser.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Cloudy w/showers (100% cloud cover), Ceiling - 2,200-5,000 ft.,
Visibility - 5-10 miles, Temps 72 - 77F, Winds SW @ 10 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Cooper's Hawk,
3-Red-shouldered Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (30) and
Turkey Vultures (40).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ ---“Crown Me”---
Bucktoe Creek Preserve Big Sit & Hawk Watch

On site at 5 am for OUR “Big Sit” and to conduct our regular Sunday Bird
Walk. My arrival was greeted by a chorus of Screech Owls and a Barred Owl.
Walk highlights included… Lincoln’s Sparrow, a tree full of Palm Warblers,
and a Kestrel in a faceoff with Flickers….again.

“Bucktoe royalty” was out, wearing no crowns, though I would bestow them.
The Brokaws (our hosts) visited “The Watch,” this time with brother, Nick
from Puerto Rico and sister, Chloe. I’ve been worried about Nick since the
hurricane tore through his country and not being able to get through to
him, but Nick tells that all is as well as can be expected. Margretta had
little family addition, Poly in tow. Poly is a beagle (or very nearly so),
but failed miserably in her hunting class, opting for people instead. We
love Poly.

Shortly after noon, “our Lincoln’s Sparrow” took a bath in our amazing
water feature.

Sandy Moser was here with cider and brownies. Good job, Sandy!

Then at 2:15pm, an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER (our second every at the Watch) –
one of this region’s rarest warblers - thrilled Sandy and I by bathing in
our eminently fabulous “water feature.” So glad you were able to enjoy it
with me Sandy. And Sandy, thanks for the donation.

BUCKTOE BIG SIT SPECIES LIST:
1. Canada Goose
2. Mallard
3. Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon)
4. Mourning Dove
5. Chimney Swift
6. Black Vulture
7. Turkey Vulture
8. Bald Eagle
9. Cooper's Hawk
10. Sharp-shinned Hawk
11. Red-shouldered Hawk
12. Red-tailed Hawk
13. Eastern Screech-Owl
14. Barred Owl
15. Belted Kingfisher
16. Red-bellied Woodpecker
17. Downy Woodpecker
18. Hairy Woodpecker
19. Northern Flicker
20. Pileated Woodpecker
21. Merlin
22. American Kestrel
23. Eastern Phoebe
24. Blue Jay
25. American Crow
26. Fish Crow
27. Tree Swallow
28. Carolina Chickadee
29. Tufted Titmouse
30. White-breasted Nuthatch
31. House Wren
32. Carolina Wren
33. Ruby-crowned Kinglet
34. Eastern Bluebird
35. American Robin
36. Gray Catbird
37. Northern Mockingbird
38. European Starling
39. Cedar Waxwing
40. House Finch
41. American Goldfinch
42. Orange-crowned Warbler
43. Common Yellowthroat
44. Palm Warbler
45. Eastern Towhee
46. Chipping Sparrow
47. Field Sparrow
48. Savannah Sparrow
49. Swamp Sparrow
50. Song Sparrow
51. Lincoln's Sparrow
52. White-crowned Sparrow
53. White-throated Sparrow
54. Northern Cardinal
55. Indigo Bunting
56. Blue Grosbeak
57. Red-winged Blackbird
58. Common Grackle
59. Brown-headed Cowbird
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
1-ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, 3-Lincoln's Sparrow, 1-Blue GrosbeaK.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (10): Monarch - 32, Cabbage White,
Clouded Sulphur, Pearl Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Common Checkered Skipper,
Buckeye, Variegated Fritillary, Wild Indigo Duskywing, Sachem. Dragonflies
(2): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags. Reptiles & Amphibians (1): Spring
Peeper. Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, White-tailed Deer.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.11; Steps: 11,993; Floors:
19.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 59; this season: 123
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):”
ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER.
<BR><BR>

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek